Saint Michael, the Archangel
Feastday: September 29
God had made Heaven and the Earth and all the Angels and all the extra important Angels, called Archangels. The Archangels were God's very special friends and were Shining and Strong and Powerful. One Archangel was called Michael. Michael, the Archangel, was "the Angel of the Lord", who was sent to Moses and Jacob and Abraham and to other people throughout the history of the world.
Saint Michael, the Archangel, who ranks among the seven Archangels, is also one of the three Angels mentioned by name in the Scriptures; the others being Saint Raphael and Saint Gabriel. Saint Gabriel is the messenger to the Blessed Virgin Mary in the Mystery of the Incarnation. Michael is the defender of Jesus Christ in his Sacred Humanity. Saint Michael, the Archangel. He is spoken of twice in the Old Testament, and twice in the New.
The name Michael, signifies "Who is like to God" and was the war cry of the good Angels in the battle fought in heaven against Satan and his followers. Because of the victory, Saint Michael, the Archangel, is revered in Catholic tradition and liturgy as the Protector of the Church, as once, he was regarded as the Protector of the Israelites. In the Eastern Church, Saint Michael, the Archangel, is placed over all the Angels, as Prince of the Seraphim.
As distinct from the Guardian Angels, the Archangels are God's messengers to man in matters of grave moment; e.g., Gabriel to the Virgin Mary, Raphael to Tobias; and to the Archangels God also entrusts the care of persons of exalted rank or sanctit to the Archangels. Saint Michael, the Archangel, was the angel who communicated with Joan of Arc. In spite of her efforts to save her king and country with the help of God, Joan was betrayed by her own people to the English who tried her as a witch and burned her at the stake.
Saint Michael, the Archangel, is usually depicted with a sword. This sword is double edged: truth and justice. As the Archangel of battle and defender of Heaven, Michael is said to be the Patron Saint of policemen. In the Christian Bible, Michael is said to be the Angel who told the Virgin Mary of her approaching death.
The following is a list of the Archangels:
Patron Saint of Policemen and Grocers.
Prayer to Saint Michael, the Archangel
Saint Michael, the Archangel, defend us in battle. Be our defense against the wickedness and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him, we humbly pray. And you, Oh Prince of the Heavenly Host, by the power of God, thrust into Hell, Satan and the other evil spirits, who prowl the world for the ruin of souls.
The Chaplet of Saint Michael, the Archangel
The Chaplet of Michael, the Archangel, is a wonderful way to honor this great Archangel along with the other nine Choirs of Angels. What do we mean by Choirs? It seems that God has created various orders of Angels. Sacred Scripture distinguishes nine such groupings:
Seraphim, Cherubim, Thrones, Dominions, Powers, Virtues,
Principalities, Archangels and Angels (Isa. 6:2; Gen. 3:24; Col.
1:16; Eph. 1:21; Rom. 8:38). There may be more groupings but these
are the only ones that have been revealed to us. The Seraphim is
believed to be the highest Choir, the most intimately united to God,
while the Angelic Choir is the lowest.
The history of this Chaplet goes back to a devout Servant of God,
Antonia d'Astonac, who had a vision of Michael, the Archangel. He told Antonia to honor him by nine salutations to the nine Choirs of Angels. St. Michael promised that whoever would practice this devotion in his honor would have, when approaching Holy Communion, an escort of nine Angels chosen from each of the nine Choirs. In addition, for those who would recite the Chaplet daily, he promised his continual assistance and that of all the holy Angels during life.
The Chaplet of Saint Michael, the Archangel
O God, come to my assistance. O Lord, make haste to help me. Glory be to the Father, etc.
Say one Our Father and three Hail Marys after each of the following
nine salutations in honor of the nine Choirs of Angels.
1. By the intercession of Michael, the Archangel and the celestial Choir of Seraphim, may the Lord make us worthy to burn with the fire of perfect charity. Amen.
2. By the intercession of Michael, the Archangel and the celestial Choir of Cherubim, may the Lord grant us the grace to leave the ways of sin and run in the paths of Christian perfection. Amen.
3. By the intercession of Michael, the Archangel and the celestial Choir of Thrones, may the Lord infuse into our hearts a true and sincere spirit of humility. Amen.
4. By the intercession of Michael, the Archangel and the celestial Choir of Dominions, may the Lord give us grace to govern our senses and overcome any unrul passions. Amen.
5. By the intercession of Michael, the Archangel and the celestial Choir of Powers, may the Lord protect our souls against the snares and temptations of the devil. Amen.
6. By the intercession of Michael, the Archangel and the celestial Choir of Virtues, may the Lord preserve us from evil and falling into temptation. Amen.
7. By the intercession of Michael, the Archangel and the celestial Choir of Principalities, may God fill our souls with a true spirit of
8. By the intercession of Michael, the Archangel and the celestial Choir of Archangels, may the Lord give us perseverance in faith and in all good works in order that we may attain the glory of Heaven. Amen.
9. By the intercession of Michael, the Archangel and the celestial Choir of Angels, may the Lord grant us to be protected by them in this mortal life and conducted in the life to come to Heaven. Amen.
Say one Our Father in honor of each of the following leading Angels:
Michael, the Archangel, St. Gabriel, St. Raphael and our Guardian Angel.
O Glorious Prince Michael, the Archangel, Chief and Commander of the Heavenly Hosts, Guardian of Souls, Vanquisher of Rebel Spirits,
Servant in the House of the Divine King and our Admirable Conductor, you who shine with excellence and superhuman virtue deliver us from all evil, who turn to you with confidence and enable us by your gracious protection to serve God more and more faithfully every day.
Pray for us, O Glorious Michael, the Archangel, Prince of the Church of Jesus Christ, that we may be made worthy of His Promises.
Almighty and Everlasting God, Who, by a prodigy of goodness and a
merciful desire for the salvation of all men, has appointed the most
glorious Archangel Michael, the Archangel, Prince of Your Church, make us worthy, we ask You, to be delivered from all our enemies, that none of them may harass us at the hour of death, but that we may be conducted by him into Your Presence. This we ask through the merits of Jesus Christ Our Lord.